Infection Control Statement
Our aim is to keep a clean and tidy surgery, to promote a safe environment for staff, patients and visitors in accordance with national and local guidelines.
In accordance with the Health and Social Care Act 2008, infection control is everyone’s responsibility. All care workers both clinical and non clinical, are required to adhere to the Downing Street Group Practice Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures and make every effort to maintain high standards of infection prevention and control at all times thereby reducing the burden of Infections including MRSA.
The annual statement will be generated each year and will summarise:
- Details of any infection transmission incidents and action (as reported in accordance with our significant event procedure)
- Details of any infection control audits undertaken and action taken.
- Details of any infection control risk assessments undertaken.
- Staff training.
- Review and update of policies/procedures/guidelines which may be required.
Infection Control Leads
The Infection Control Lead enables the integration of infection control principles into the standards of care within the practice. They will be the first point of contact for practice staff in respect of infection control issues. They will help create and maintain an environment which will ensure the safety of the patient/client/carers, visitors and healthcare workers in relation to Healthcare Associated Infection.
The practice Infection Control Leads are Dr Ishmail Boakye-Acheampong, Sister Helen Last, Val Drury and Anne Green.
In the past year there have been no significant events relating to Infection Control reported.
We have ongoing review and audit to include, standard precautions, the clinical room environment, hand hygiene, safe handling of specimens and sharps and our cold chain procedure.
Regular meetings are held with the practice manager, HR Lead and infection control lead to monitor and assess ongoing Infection Control audits and any issues raised, so they can be addressed in a timely manner.
General Health and Safety and Infection Control management is ongoing with fortnightly inspections of the premises and clinical rooms.
- All clinical staff complete infection control training.
- We have introduced Infection control training for all new staff as part of their induction.
- Infection control and any issues arising are discussed in our weekly clinical meeting.
- All clinical staff are competency assessed in handwashing and aseptic techniques.
Infection Control Advice to Patients
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout Farnham Park Health Group.
There are posters available in the Farnham Park Health Group Practice on:
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. seasonal influenza, Shingles and childhood immunisations)
Policies, Procedures, Guidelines
Most policies are formally reviewed annually, however all are amended on an ongoing basis as current advice changes, or need arises.